Teaching the Heart of Health Care
How will this certificate help you achieve your professional goals?
Is your goal to teach and share your expertise with patients/families or the next generation of nurses? As a nurse educator you can teach patients, families, student nurses, staff nurses and other healthcare providers. A SHU Advanced Graduate Certificate in Nursing Education will prepare you for the role of a nurse educator. This will allow you to teach and share your expertise with patients/families or the next generation of nurses.
As the health care workforce continues to grow, the demand for qualified instructors to teach and develop the next generation of nurses will increase. The Sacred Heart University (SHU) College of Nursing Advanced Graduate Certificate in Nursing Education will compliment your clinical expertise with the latest theories and strategies in teaching and learning. Following this certification, you can explore career opportunities as a clinical instructor in nursing schools or as a staff development educator in a hospital or other health care organizations. Our program curriculum covers the basic understanding of the issues surrounding nursing education to the latest advances in curriculum design and evaluation.
What are the program requirements?
- All course work can be completed online which provides greater flexibility and less disruption to your personal and employment obligations.
- Courses are 8 weeks in length and are offered on an ongoing basis.
- 180 practicum hours with 60 hours in each of NU 619, NU 690, and NU 691 is required.
What are the certification requirements?
The certificate is awarded upon completion of 15 credit hours and 120 practicum hours.
- NU 588 Theoretical Basis of Teaching and Learning in Nursing Education 3 CR
- NU 589 Curriculum Development and Evaluation in Nursing Education 3 CR
- NU 619 Principles of Patient and Staff Education 3 CR
- NU 690 Nursing Education Role Practicum 3 CR
- NU 691 Nursing Education Role Capstone 3 CR
What is the admission criteria?
- Master’s degree in Nursing or related field with a GPA of 3.0 or greater
- All official transcripts
- Licensed as a registered nurse
- Compliance/background Check
- One professional reference
- Application processing fee of $25
- Application Form
For more information or to apply, contact: